Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)

"Suck it, bitch!"

I will admit that I began watching this movie years ago and never finished. I was very bored with it the first time I saw it. However, I gave it a second chance with the recent Blu-Ray release of the film. I grabbed it for $10 and watched it all the way through. Is this movie violent and extreme? Yes. Is it hard to watch? For me, no, but I can see how people would say it is.

The film is about Jennifer Hill who goes off to a secluded cabin to write her first novel. She makes the mistake of telling a group of rednecks that she will be all alone. One day they go after her and rape her, repeatedly. She is beaten and raped, she runs off and then is beaten and raped again. She finally makes her way back to her cabin only to be raped again. By the third raping she doesn't even fight back, she is beaten one last time after that. Johnny, the leader of the group tells Matthew (a weak character who seems to only be going along with the group so they'll be his friends) to go back and kill Jennifer to make sure she can't tell anyone. Matthew can't do it and simply tells them he killed her. A deadly mistake for the group. Jennifer regroups and recovers and finally goes after the group, killing Matthew first. The movie then ends immediately after the final killing.

The movie doesn't have much of a plot. It isn't ever explained why the guys go after Jennifer aside from Johnny claiming that Jennifer was "asking for it" referring to her being in her bikini and whatnot. You never feel sympathy for the guys, nor are you supposed to, but it just seems odd to me that they never really explain why they would do this to HER, why HER? Have they done this before? The main problem I had with this film was the fact that she gets raped REPEATEDLY, in "The Last House on the Left" the girls are beaten, raped and murdered, but in this film the rape scene takes up a good portion of the film. So I don't really understand why this film was made at all. Roger Ebert is really famous for saying he hates this movie, even going as far as saying it's the "worst movie ever made" and he recently gave the 2010 remake zero stars just like the original. I haven't seen the remake yet, but I plan to soon.

Is the movie entertaining? Not really, but it does have a pretty brutal murder in the movie. When Jennifer encounters Johnny again she seduces him to get him into her house, he ends up in her bathtub. She begins to give him a hand job only to cut his dick off. She then proceeds to lock him in the bathroom to bleed to death. To me that's one of the most brutal deaths I've ever seen just because he's left to bleed to death as opposed to killing him quickly. Jennifer simply goes into the living room and sits there while Johnny screams "it won't stop bleeding!".