Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Social Network (2010)


"If you invented Facebook you would've invented Facebook"

When I first heard about this movie my first reaction was the same as I'm sure others had, a movie about Facebook?? What the fuck?? That just sounds terrible! Well, guess what? I was wrong! Did I actually expect it to go to such fame? No, but after hearing all the good things people were saying about the film I just had to see it.

The film is mostly about the two guys who created Facebook as opposed to being about Facebook itself. Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield steal the show as Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverign respectively. The chemistry that the two have is quite amazing. But the surprise top performer was, believe it or not, Justin Timberlake. Timberlake plays Sean Parker the creator of Napster who befriended Zuckerberg and basically broke up the friendship of Zuckerberg and Saverign.

The film has an amazing screenplay written by Aaron Sorkin who absolutely deserves the Academy Award for it! The film is directed by David Fincher (Fight Club) and has a pretty damn good cast. The film is entertaining because of the chemistry felt from each of the actors. I feel that the casting was greatly done and you really feel that these people are real and could very easily be in these situations. I always think that if a film can pull you in and make you forget you're watching a movie then it's incredibly well done.

Will the film win Best Picture? I don't really know, I think it will steal it but there's some stiff competition from "The King's Speech" so we'll just have to see what happens.